This picture sort of shows the caterpillars crawling up the sides. After a while, the side of the cup started to look pretty gross, with the frass that was stuck there. There was also webbing throughout the cup.
I put a paper towel behind the cup in hopes that you could see the chrysalids a bit better. In this picture 4 out of 5 of them were starting to form. Number 5 was finally at the top, but stretched out, not in position yet.
Here they are, all 5 after I transferred them to the habitat. The whole time I was doing that, Maggie and Cassie were watching me closely "Be careful Mama, be careful. Careful Mama....careful" "I am being careful girls" "Be careful.....mama, be careful" "Girls, that is making me more nervous, stop saying that" "Oh, okay." Silence for a half of a second. "Careful Mama...."
They are pinned nearer the bottom per the instructions. And now we wait for butterflies to emerge. (about 7 days or so)
On Saturday Lino and I were out prepping the shutters and porch railings to be painted. The kids and I had gone out back while the neighbor girl and her mom were over when Maggie started shouting to look up:
It was a Good Year blimp. It was moving kind of quickly, I wish I had put the zoom lens on though.