Saturday, November 24, 2007
Friday, November 23, 2007
Wednesday, November 21, 2007
Great. Start stitching. It is looking super cute, yay! The design gets to the outline part, and oh no, it is somehow shifted! Boo! There were some puckers, too, but I figured that I could work that out with one of the bigger shirts, as they would be easier to hoop. Try Lino's shirt the next morning....argh! The outline goes wonky on that one too! Got some advice from the sewing boards I visit, and make a trip to Joann's to stock up on stabilizer. Try again, using the messed up shirt. Still no luck. Try yet again. It came out ok. I could live with it, but, I have to try and get it to come out ok on 5 shirts. So, now I am trying to think of an alternatative. I wanted these to be done already....
Cookies. Thanksgiving is tomorrow. We are going to Lino's parents house for the meal. His mom is a great cook. We will go to my dads for dessert time.
In the past I have made cheesecakes to bring, and cannolis. This year I just don't have the energy to do cheesecake. (I put a lot of pressure on myself to get a 'perfect' one, without any cracks...) So, I am going to whip up some meringue cookies, using my aunt's recipe. These were my absolute favorite cookies when I was little. My mom never made them so I only got to have them at Thanksgiving and Christmas. (keep fingers crossed that these turn out nice and puffy!
Happy Thanksgiving to all!
Thursday, November 15, 2007
I had thought ahead and was using a basting stitch (figuring it would be easier to let out next year), thankfully, because I had to redo the cuffs on Maggie's pants no less than 6 times! (I love my seamripper, lol) Cassie's weren't as bad.
Nate still wouldn't try his on, so I measured his from another pair of jammies. (Sneaky mama...)
So now I am just trying to figure out what kind of design to do on the shirts.
Monday, November 12, 2007
A close up of the seam allowance: (5/8th of an inch, in case any one is curious !) This picture doesn't show it, but I did another stitch (double seam), probably at 3/8ths in.
This next picture shows how easy making pants is! You turn one leg right side out, then put it inside the wrong side out leg. Line up your seams and pin together.
Here they are, sewn together in a double seam. The first is at 5/8th, the second is probably 3/8th.
Pull one leg out from the other:
Turn rightside out. All that is left is the casing on the waistband and hemming the legs. Nate wasn't in the mood to try them on and be measured, so I put the other 4 pairs together!
Fun, right? Lino even suggested that if I can get them done soon, we could have our picture taken in them for our Christmas cards! Can't wait!
Sunday, November 11, 2007
Friday, November 2, 2007
And Halloween 2004: Maggie and Cassie with my dad:
The duck costumes were fun to make. The legs are actually a full body suit. I did them out of felt, with the sleeves the fuzzy loopy fleece. The fuzzy bodies are a 'bubble' (shoulder straps and elastic bottom) done in the fuzzy fleece, which when cut, left yellow fuzzies everywhere! The hats have both the fleece and felt, I hand stitched the eyes in black thread. The feet were a bit tricky and if I were to make them again, I would make them bigger. They are felt, with a bumpy bottom for traction. The bubble and hats were fully lined.
All in all, I am pleased with how they turned out, considering I was still a beginner sewer!
The piece with the E directly in front of the machine: a mistake. It stitched out beautifully. Unfortunately, when I was cutting out all of the pieces, I somehow managed to cut 3 of my larger sections just a smidge short. And there isn't anyway to save it. I gave myself a headache trying to figure out the math. Luckily, I have more denim and am now calling that E a 'test stitch'.