Monday, November 12, 2007

Nearly completed jammies! (with pictures)

Had a great sewing day yesterday, and the jammies are almost finished. I need to get more elastic and drawstring for the waistbands and once I have that, I can hem the legs and finish them! Everything went together smoothly (which is always nice) I did discover, though, that the childrens sizing on the pattern runs big. The pattern just had sizing, 2, 3/4, 5/6 so I went with 5/6. So, when I had the girls test try theirs on, they are long...very long. I opted not to take them apart and cut them down a size, I figure, it is an easy fix now and they will be able to wear them for a few years! I was a bit surprised that it ran that big. Most of my patterns size by measurements (chest, waist, etc)



Some pictures of Nate's pair:
Here is the fabric cut, with the pattern still on. I cut 2 pieces at the same time, being careful as the print on the fabric has a top and bottom! This is such a nice fabric to work with, it is a good weight.

Next, you fold and pin each leg, with the right side of the fabric facing in. I pinned both sections first, and then sewed next.

A close up of the seam allowance: (5/8th of an inch, in case any one is curious !) This picture doesn't show it, but I did another stitch (double seam), probably at 3/8ths in.


This next picture shows how easy making pants is! You turn one leg right side out, then put it inside the wrong side out leg. Line up your seams and pin together.


Here they are, sewn together in a double seam. The first is at 5/8th, the second is probably 3/8th.


Pull one leg out from the other:



Turn rightside out. All that is left is the casing on the waistband and hemming the legs. Nate wasn't in the mood to try them on and be measured, so I put the other 4 pairs together!

Fun, right? Lino even suggested that if I can get them done soon, we could have our picture taken in them for our Christmas cards! Can't wait!

3 comments:

Insomiknitac said...

oh those are sew cute!! i would love a picture postcard of kiddies in those!! :D

Jeannie said...

Thanks. I can't wati to get the pictures done!

Leia H said...

Those are darling! That print looks great on pants!