Friday, November 7, 2008

My migraines are good for me.....

According to an article that I read yesterday, migraines are a good thing.


"We found that, overall, women who had a history of migraines had a 30 percent lower risk of breast cancer compared to women who did not have a history of such headaches," said Dr. Christopher Li of the Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center in Seattle, whose findings appear in the journal Cancer Epidemiology, Biomarkers and Prevention.

I will have to remember the next time that it feels as though my head may explode due to the raging, blinding pain and accompanying nausea.

It is also thought that breastfeeding reduces the risk of breast cancer.

Much of the research shows that the longer a woman breastfeeds the more protected she is against breast cancer. This information takes on special significance during October which is Breast Cancer Awareness Month. Early detection remains the best tool in the arsenal of breast cancer cure. Women today are also looking for preventive measures. Increasing the duration of breastfeeding an additional six months would prevent an estimated 25,000 breast cancers in Western populations where breast cancer is most prevalent.

Should I feel extra protected? I have been breastfeeding since March 2003 and have suffered migraines since the early 90's.

I know that nothing is ever a guarrantee, but if there is any truth to those studies, I guess I can live with the migraines.

3 comments:

Lanny said...

Well, I finally have something to like about my migraines! :)

I'm so sad. I've had to stop (hopefully it's just temporary) breastfeeding. I'm proud of my attempt & success, but I'm feeling like such a failure right now even though it was beyond my control. :(

WAY TO GO! Since 2003? That's awesome!

Lori said...

Jeannie, that's so interesting about the migraines!

I BF both girls for 1 year each. Mentioned it to the breast surgeon I had an appt with when my sister was diagnosed and she seemed to say it only gave a teeny tiny bit of protection. I like your article better!

I get so nervous waiting for my mammo results but it's been 9 days now so I'm thinking no news is good news!

Leia H said...

Don't listen to those doctors Lori!!

I never knew that about migraines - very interesting! I did know that about bfeeding though - yeah for us! :)

Are your boobs tired?? ;) I think my pump broke mine...